SENCO Mrs H Potter
Deputy SENCO Mrs N McCarthy
At Lord Lawson, students with Special Educational Needs will be supported by every one of their teachers on a daily basis through Quality First Teaching provision. Students may also require intervention from the Teaching Assistants. This support may be in the form of in-class support; small group work; 1:1 sessions; or the provision of physical resources.
If a student has Special Educational Needs/Disabilities (SEND), their name will be entered onto the SEND Register so that teachers are aware. Teachers also have access to a student’s SEND Passport to help them ensure that their lessons are adapted. This information is managed by the Special Educational Needs Coordinators and reviewed with the parents and student regularly throughout the year.
Special Educational provision means:
Educational provision which is additional to, or otherwise different from, the educational provision made generally for children of the child’s age in maintained schools, other than special schools, in the area.
Guiding principles of SEND provision at Lord Lawson of Beamish Academy :
- Clear identification of student needs followed by implementation (where required) of appropriate intervention across ability range and subjects.
- Collaboration between Lord Lawson staff and outside agencies to provide the best holistic support.
- Raising awareness of individual students with barriers to learning and the impact this may have on their progress.
- Support high quality provision to meet the needs of SEND students which is personalised and differentiated.
- A focus on inclusive practice which removes the barriers to learning while maintaining the fair treatment of SEND students.
Cognition & Learning
Communication & Interaction
- Afasic – support for families with children and young adults who have Speech Language and Communication Needs (SLCN).
- The British Stammering Association
- ICAN – the Speech and Language UK charity
- Selective Mutism Information and Research Association (SMIRA)
- https://www.autismeducationtrust.org.uk/Education Trust
- Autism Matters Newcastle (autism-matters.co.uk)
- Daisy Chain – Parent Support Group
- The National Autistic Society
- Autism Education Trust
Social, Emotional & Mental Health
Sensory or Physical
- Pdnet - network for those supporting learners with a physical disability
- Whizz Kidz – UK’s leading charity for young wheelchair users
General medical needs